September 20th, 2016:

Welcome to Amazon AWS. Well if you are reading this now, you are successfully experiencing the latest and greatest iteration of my domain www.ki5dr.com through hosting on Amazon's infrastructure. What you probably DIDN'T know was that it *WAS working, then I tried to upgrade it, which broke it, then I FIXED it. Then, while I was working on another domain - www.twilightequilibrium.com, I broke MINE again... Something about best-practices, and I didn't do mine quite right, so I thought I would update / correct the S3 bucket naming convention so that it was NAMED correctly - Um, which broke it.

Rather than open a support ticket with Amazon's Tech team, I figured (Since I just finished the AWS SYSOPS bootcamp) that I OUGHT to be able to correctly diagnose and correct the problem myself. Sure enough, I found the problem stuffed inside the permissions, and how I am utilizing GoDaddy's HTTP-Redirect rules to send my DNS-naming to the S3 bucket (scratch-that) CloudFront Caching, which re-points back to my S3 bucket, along with the associated permissions tools to allow CF <READ> permissions but not write/upload permissions to my website. BAM! Corrected.

The fact is, I think this is FUN, and would love to do this all day. What's the rule - Do what you Love? I would enjoy showing this / teaching this technology to others, and explaining how it works in a meaningful way. 

One more fun tidbit - I added an error page.. try it out! 
Outside of that, the job hunt continues....

September 5, 2016:
So, it's officially been 30 days since I was let go from my previous company - Milestone. As it turned out, our sales team was unable to renew our contract with eBay going back to January, and although they were in contract negotiations for several months, they neglected to inform myself or my team that any of this was going on. We only found out when the NEW company who won eBay's support contract (GenTec) began calling my engineer's cell phones off-hours and offering them a position with the new company, as we would no longer be providing support.

As you can imagine, this caused quite a confusion amongst the team. WHAT? We are losing our jobs? We have no contract? Who is this new company? Of course, what we did NOT have were answers to these questions, and so several of my team members (who feared for their families and well-being) TOOK those offers and resigned, left, going to work for this new group. It was a mess.

By the end of July, part of my team was gone, I was not allowed to recruit / backfill, and I had some real-concerns for the remainder of my team - what would happen to them? Ultimately I was able to help facilitate positions for 10 out of the 14 engineers. By August 5th, however, my position was eliminated. Now I am out looking for work.

It is interesting to note that, while I have done quite a variety of different roles over the last 3 years, this seems to have placed me at a disadvantage. Recruiters tend to be lookng for ONE skillset, and consistency in that skillset. Gone are those days where variety and breadth of knowledge are beneficial in the workforce.

This is sad because the landscape today is so much more volatile. Business moves fast, changes fast, is fairly unstable in the sense that - as a Manager, I can get into a groove doing my daily grind, only to discover that the rest of the industry took a sharp left 6 weeks ago, and now we're doing it all wrong.

We need flexibility - we need the ability to make minor course corrections, but have checks and balances to continually verify we're doing it right. As a team, we must all stay current on technology, today's trends. There is almost always something we are doing that takes time and effort, where someone, somewhere has figured out how to do it better, more efficiently. Continued improvement.